To manage storage on any Windows server, or a NAS device which emulates a Windows server, the Senergy Proxy Rights group requires certain Local Security Privileges. NetApp 8.x and earlier NAS devices granted these automatically to the built-in "Administrators" group. However, with NetApp 9.x, these privileges are no longer automatically granted to any group, and an administrator must manually configure these privileges on the NetApp SVM in order for Senergy to properly manage storage.
The Senergy Proxy Rights group also requires membership in the built-in "Administrators" group in order to perform operations which specifically require that membership (e.g. quota management) and must be granted "Full Control" rights in the CIFS sharing rights on each share Senergy manages storage on.
These steps assume that you have already installed and configured Senergy following our documentation. They also assume that you have installed and have administrator-level access to the NetApp OnCommand System Manager web-based administration tool.
In the sample screenshots below, the Senergy Proxy Rights group is named "ENG-LAB-A-A1\snrgyproxyrights-aa1".
- Log in to the NetApp OnCommand System Manager.
- Click on 'SVMs'. Select the SVM in question and click 'Manage'.
- In the 'Manage' interface, click "SVM Settings". Under "Host Users and Groups", click "Windows".
- Click "Create" in the Groups tab. This will create a new local group, whose membership and LSA privileges may be managed independently. Give it a name and description as appropriate, and then select all available privileges.
- Click "Add" to add the Senergy Proxy Rights group to this group's membership list. Domain accounts must be specified in DOMAIN\SAMAccount format. Click 'OK' once this has been entered.
- Click 'Create' to create this group. You should be able to verify its list of granted security privileges and its membership list.
- Select the BUILTIN\Administrators group and click "Edit". Add the Senergy Proxy Rights group to this group using DOMAIN\SAMAccount format. Note that in this configuration, the BUILTIN\Administrators group's LSA privileges do not need to change; they may be the default (none granted) or may have some privileges granted depending on how NetApp administrators have configured this device.
- Click on 'Shares' under SVMs. Select a share which Senergy will manage storage on, and click 'Edit'.
- Grant the Senergy Proxy Rights group "Full Control" in this share's CIFS Access Control List (the 'Permissions' tab.) Click 'Save' and close the "Edit Settings" dialog, or click "Save and Close".
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 for each share which Senergy will manage storage on.
If necessary, these steps may also be used (with minimal changes depending on the admin interface) for NetApp 8.x devices.
For more information about the security requirements for Senergy, please consult the "Security Specifications" chapter of our Senergy documentation.